Wipe out exercise
- The learner can consolidate new words.
- The learner can learn a text by heart.
Write a poem or a short story on the board.
- Read the text aloud.
- Read it aloud together with the learners.
- Let the learners read the text aloud (without your assistance).
- Explain new words.
- Wipe out a few words, such as the first and last word, while the learners are learning the text by heart.
- Ask a first learner to delete one or more words, then a second learner and so on.
- Once the whole text has been wiped out, let the learners reconstruct the tekst.
- Delete parts of words.
- Delete a specific word type: all articles, all verbs, all nouns, all adjectives, all prepositions…
- Let the learners reconstruct the text in pairs.
Tips for the instructor
- You can facilitate reciting and memorizing by
- underlining the emphasized syllables.
- reading rhythmically, e.g. alternately hitting your thighs and clapping your hands.
- associating words with appropriate gestures or emoticons.
- showing an image of the (deleted) words.
- Emphasize that repetition is essential for learning new vocabulary.
Read more about these topics in our manual by clicking on the button.