Poem by heart
The learner can recite a poem by heart.
For each learner a copy of the poem.
Choose a short and simple poem.
- Read the poem several times.
- Let the learners write or draw the words they have understood.
- Ask the learners what the poem is about, if they like the sound of it.
- Give each learner a copy and read the poem aloud.
- Explain new words.
- Give the learners time to prepare their recital of the poem.
- Pay attention to the pronunciation and expression when a learner is reciting.
Tips for the instructor
Tell the learners to put this poem on a wall somewhere at home and ask who will know it by heart for the next session.
Invite someone (another teacher, an employee of the school or center, a neighbor) to come and listen to the poem. Can s/he understand it? What does s/he think of it?
Read more about these topics in our manual by clicking on the button.